Wednesday, November 3, 2010

Jim Anderson: Ambulance Driver

This week we got to see one of Jims other roles here in Guinea – besides that of development worker, father, husband, farmer, and missionary. He put on his ambulance driver hat.

I was sitting at the computer 2 days ago when I heard a big commotion on the porch. I was getting ready to yell out (in love, of course,) I am not working yet – you have to wait a few hours still – when I heard someone crying and moaning. That deserved investigation so I went out to find a man that had been in a motorcycle accident.



Blood was pouring out of his leg – and people were beginning to surround him. The wailing had started – not by him, but by family members. He kept yelling –My leg is broken. Everyone else was yelling – No it isn’t. Be quiet. (African bedside manner is at times hard for me to take.) Considerately, he was moved to the front yard, so he would not bleed on my porch. Anyway, I grabbed some gauze and began to clean the wound. I dug a 1 inch piece of the motorcycle out of the cut, cleaned it with soap, water, and betadine and had one of our friends hold pressure on the wound. It was DEFINITELY broken. I could feel the pieces of bone grinding in my hand as his leg shifted.


By this time, there were tons of people here. His younger sister started wailing and then fainted – causing a big commotion on the porch. Other women were crying. There was much loud discussion about what should be done. People wanted to send for a man here in the village that sets broken bones – but I convinced everyone that this was going to need surgery. (I see MANY people who end up with bone infections from broken bones that are not treated properly – and who end up even 10 years later with pus and fluid leaking from the wound.) I asked about getting a taxi to take him the 1 ½ hours away to the hospital. I was told that in a few hours, a taxi would pass through that may be able to take him. That seemed to be the only plan, but frankly, it was not working for this nurse who is too used to American standards of care. I chatted with Jim and he was more than willing to transport the guy to a big town about ½ hour from us where he would easily be able to get a taxi right away.


We began to prepare him for the trip. I gave him 2 injections – one a powerful antibiotic and then a tetanus shot (thank you to everyone who gives to the medical fund and provides supplies!!!). For pain, he got Tylenol. :^( He also started drinking some Gatorade like drink – which solves so many medical problems on my porch. :^) I wrote a quick note to the doctor at the hospital, explaining what had been done for him and then we splinted his leg with 2 pieces of wood that Jim cut for me.


It was time to load him into the truck – after convincing everyone that he should NOT wait until his wives showed up from the farm. We got him loaded in as 2 of his sons showed up – and the wailing started again. We prayed over him – and off they went. Along the road, Jim met the man who had been driving the motorcycle – but he didn’t look very injured, so they went on and we sent someone else after the driver. The road is very bumpy and filled with pot holes so the going was slow. They had to stop in a nearby town to pass on the news of what had happened and allow everyone to see him and wail.


They arrived in the bigger town and were quickly able to get transport for him to go to the hospital. We have not gotten word yet how he is doing, but are so thankful for the medical supplies that are donated and for God allowing us to be here just at the right time. We are thankful for a great truck that many people helped provide for us. And I am thankful for my husband who is always willing to switch roles and do whatever it takes! He is the best ambulance driver in town!

No comments:

Post a Comment