Monday, December 3, 2012

Subway, McDonald's and Taco Bell are all CLOSED? I guess we are on our own for lunch. . . .





We recently traveled to the capital and I was once again faced with the decision of what to eat while on the road.  For many in the US, packing a picnic lunch is a fun experience – where they stop at a national park or picnic area, complete with benches and water fountains.  For us, packing lunch is a necessity – at least to have the basics.   

That is not because gas station snack prices are outrageous – though they are.  It is more because gas stations can be few and far between and break downs happen and food that is safe to eat can be a rare find.  Just last week, we had a team that left our house to travel to the capital.  I had offered to send lunch, but they planned on being in one of the bigger cities by lunch time so I just sent snacks.  Their car broke down an hour into the 11 hour trip– thankfully they were near a missionary friend’s house that was able to scrounge up something for them to eat.

Road trip breakfast is usually muffins of some variety and maybe apples if we have any left.  After our last trip – and because of many previous trips - I have decided to outlaw bananas in the car.  They never seem to travel well (and also I just do NOT like bananas!).  By the time we arrived in CKY this time, there was brown, sticky banana juice all over everything – a result of being accidently smashed in transit.  Jim, being the frugal person that he is and NOT wanting to waste food, was trying to eat the nasty brown little things as I was trying to pitch them out the window!

In the past, we have always packed a complete lunch – usually sandwiches – USUALLY TUNA (I get so Very tired of tuna – please don’t EVER feed it to me in the US…) and Pringles (about the only chip that is reliably not broken into bits and is usually still crisp).  I try to bake cookies or add some carefully doled out granola bars or candy that we get occasionally from the US.  

On a recent emergency trip to Conakry, I was focused on getting to the capital and very stressed about the trip, so I didn’t really plan on any food for the road.  I was traveling with Mr. Bah and felt kind of badly that he didn’t have anything to eat either.  In one town, we found “donuts” – a batter that has been deep fried in oil.  Mr. Bah went off looking for coffee – either served in a cup or put into a small plastic “to go” bag – but he couldn’t find any.   

When lunch time arrived, we stopped in a rather large town to find some food.  Mr. Bah went off looking for “sheep balls” - a meatball like food made from pounded sheep meat and peanut butter and salt and hot pepper.  I decided to pass and look for a sandwich.  I found meat kabobs in one little stand – which they put back onto the grill to warm up, day old bread at another stand (which, sadly, had ants in it, and more sadly, it was a fact that didn’t discover until the sandwich was nearly gone), and two little triangles of Laughing Cow cheese at another stand. 

 It was a fairly tasty sandwich – at least until I discovered the ants……  If I think about the meat kebobs too long, I have a hard time swallowing – because usually the little grills are set right next to the stand where they butcher the cows – complete with huge legs of meat hanging, chunks laying everywhere, lots of flies, and a herd (gaggle? flock? covey? ) of vultures.

Some people brave stopping at a roadside place to get rice and sauce (often also next to the butcher stand) – but that always makes me a little nervous; besides the fact that you cannot be sure you will be in the right place at the right time.  Little things like typhoid and amoebas have me running scared.

Water is another necessity that you must take with you.  You might not find safe drinking water on the road.  Occasionally, you can find cold pop or water at a gas station – always a treat.  As you reach the capital, they sometimes sell little bags of cold water – you just bite off the corner and drink.  (The nurse in me cringes to know how many hands have handled that bag – so I either avoid them or wash them with something.)

Last week, we returned from Dakar, where we visited the boys for about a week.  Often, on my return trips from vacation are a little iffy, since I haven’t taken the time to plan.  We pretty much scrounged the whole trip.  At the end of the first day, as we arrived at our kind of scary hotel (?) for the night, we asked if meals were served at the small café there on the property. 

 There were six of us – they said they had 4 chicken dinners and 2 spaghetti dinners.  We agreed – since we didn’t really have another option.  After a short while, as we were settling in, we heard and saw the white rooster, who had been minding his own business, being chased.  Suddenly it got quiet.  About an hour later, supper was served.  :^(

So, I confess, that when I am in America, it give me great pleasure to be able to pull into a gas station or stop at a restaurant or drive through for a meal. I enjoy NOT having to think hard about what we are going to eat or drink.  One of the small pleasures in life!

No comments:

Post a Comment